Living in South Louisiana, we are all aware that Monday, June 1 is the beginning of Hurricane Season.
This weekend May 30-31, 2009 our government is giving us a break on the 4% state sales tax for hurricane preparedness items! (Items must be priced under $1,500.)
The items exempt from the state sales tax are as follows:
- Flashlights, candles
- Portable self-powered radios, two-way radios, and weather-band radios
- Tarps or other flexible waterproof sheeting
- Ground anchor systems or tie-down kits
- Gas or diesel fuel tanks
- Various battery sizes (excluding automobile batteries and boat batteries)
- Cellular phone batteries and chargers
- Non-electric food storage coolers
- Portable generators
- Storm shutter devices – Materials and products manufactured, rated, and marketed specifically for the purposes of preventing window damage from storms (La. R.S. 47:305.58)
- Carbon monoxide detectors
- Blue ice products
Food products are not included in the tax exempt weekend.
Let’s all take advantage of this weekend and get prepared. Hopefully, for a nice quiet hurricane season!
For more information, you can go to the Louisiana Department of Revenue website.
Photo courtesy of: NOAA